Monday, August 25, 2008

The first day of school - Before school

This morning I decided to document the day from before she woke up to the time we dropped her off at school.

Still sleeping....


Good Morning Sunshine!!! This hair is why we have to shower in the mornings. It takes almost as much time to get the tangles out as it does to shower/dry hair and it looks SOOO much better freshly washed so that's what we do.


Out of the shower and mad that I was taking pictures. She kept saying "Mom I start Kindergarten today. We don't have time to take pictures."


Every kid needs a good breakfast before school. Today was Morning Glory Muffins w/ peanut butter, mandarin oranges, and yogurt w/ a touch of honey.


The oranges were the first to go, she ate about half the muffin and wouldn't touch the yogurt which is odd because she loves yogurt usually.


She's all ready for school in the outfit she chose.


A little unprompted pose from our little model.


I always love how their backpacks are almost bigger than they are so I had to get a shot of her with her backpack on.


Her in front of her classroom. She was so excited I didn't have the heart to ask her for another picture out there so this is what I got.


Putting her backpack away in her cubby.


Kissing daddy goodbye


I was very strong and did not shed a tear today. Of course, I lost it a bit last night after putting her to bed. It is hard to be sad when she was SOOOO SUPER excited about starting school. After we dropped her off Matt went to work and left Griffin and I home alone for the day. Griffin and I hung out all day and about 2pm Anne and Everett came over for a while before we went to pick the kids up.

Despite my excitement to pick her up the day went pretty quickly and it was soon time to brave the pickup line for the first time. We left around 3pm and got to the school in about 5 mins so we sat and waited for them to be released at 3:20. Being the first day in a new school and the first day for many parents to pick up their kids it was a bit crazy, but I can see where it will be smooth sailing once everyone gets the hang of things. I kept thinking about Mr Mom when Michael Keaton's character screws up the pick up line.

Once I got to the front of the line they got Caroline and she came running out. I was going to bring the camera and forgot, but I don't think I would have gotten a picture of her coming out of the school anyways. So of course as soon as she got in the car I grilled her about her day. The first thing she said was "I'm not going to tell you about it. I will tell you when it's over." Luckily over the afternoon I got more information from her and she loves it. Once we got home we sat on the couch and went through the folders in her backpack then did her first homework assignment. After we were done with homework she said "now I can watch a show!" So she watched a show as I made dinner. After dinner LaFemme, Charlotte, Gregory and Caroline stopped by for a brief chat on their way out to eat. Then we went for a very short walk before going back home to watch a show before bed. Since we're having to get up at 6:30ish we're trying to make bedtime 7:30. Tonight as we were going to bed I asked her if she was nervous this morning and she said "No I was actually very excited. Kindergarten is GREAT!" I don't think I could have asked for a better first day for her. We are so unbelievably proud of how confident she is and how she easily adapts to new situations. She never blinked an eye at this whole Kindergarten thing. I'm so excited to see where this year takes her.

Here's a poem someone sent me that tugs at my heart.

First Day Of Kindergarten School Poem

~Author Unknown~

She started school this morning,
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
In the Kindergarten hall.

And as she took her place beside
the others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.

Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.

This little girl so much absorbed
In learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
To girlhood overnight.

My eyes were blurred by hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.

Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn't understand.

And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.

But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.

And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play;
She's not a baby anymore --
She's in Kindergarten today.

No comments: